Anything with cheese is my favorite. When I recently started having more and more of a difficult time processing dairy, I think it quietly broke my heart a little.
I refuse to not enjoy cooking or eating, while I’m taking a little break from certain foods.
So here is (truly) the best Dairy Free “cheese”burger soup I have made.
[Watch me make this soup on instagram]
Dairy Free “Cheese”burger Soup
- 1 Blender (for the "cheese sauce")
- 1 Big Pot To cook the soup in
- 8 – 10 Slices of Bacon Reserve a couple slices to cook nice and crispy for topping on your soup at the end
- 2 lbs Ground Beef (I always use 2 packs just because its easier, but you can use less if you don't want leftovers / have a smaller family)
- 1 Yellow Onion
- 3 Carrots
- 2 Cups Peeled and diced Yukon Gold Potatoes
- 1 Can of Diced Tomatoes
- 1.5 – 2.5 Cups Bone Broth / Chicken Broth **I start with 1.5 cups and add more if it needs more liquid at the end after all ingredients are added.
- 1 tsp Sea Salt
- 1/2 tsp Black Pepper
- 1 tsp Garlic Powder
- 1 tsp Onion Powder
- 1 tsp Smoked Paprika
- 1 Cup Cashews **Place them in a small pot of boiling water. Let it simmer for about 10 min. You want them to be soft.
- 1/2 Cup Bone Broth / Chicken Broth
- 1/4 Cup Nutritional Yeast
- 2 TBS Pickle Juice Don't skip this part! I promise, it's worth it 🙂
- 1 TBS Tomato Paste
- 1 TBS Dijon (or yellow) Mustard
- 2-3 Slices of Crispy, chopped Bacon
- 1/4 Cup Diced Chives
- First thing – put your cashews in a pot with water (separate from the soup) and bring it to a boil. Let it simmer for about 10min or so while you do the next steps.
- Start by adding your chopped bacon to the pot (I prefer to make this all in one pot and usually use my dutch oven).
- Next, add in your ground beef to the same pot (with the bacon).
- Once fully cooked, strain out the bacon + beef into a separate bowl.
- Up to you on this part – either stain out some of the leftover bacon / beef fat or leave it in and use it to cook your veggies. We don't have much fat that comes off of our beef, so we just leave it in (don't judge) 🙂
- Add in your diced potato, onion and carrots. Let them cook for about 7-8 min (or until soft and the onions are fragrant). If things start getting stuck to the bottom, splash in a little broth to break things up.
- Next, add in your can of diced tomatoes, salt + seasonings. Add the broth and give it a nice stir. Let it sit and simmer while you make your "cheese"
- For the "cheese" strain the water out of your cashews you've been simmering. Add those cashews to a blender with your broth, nutritional yeast, pickle juice, tomato paste and mustard. Give it a nice blend until smooth and creamy – it will look like cheese!
- Once fully blended, add it to your soup pot and give it another stir. Let it simmer for another 5ish min to fully incorporate.
- Serve with some crispy bacon bits and fresh chives and enjoy!